About the Board
The Wokingham Safeguarding Children Board (WSCB) is the key statutory mechanism for ensuring that the relevant organisations in Wokingham cooperate to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people. The WSCB has a strategic role in challenging the overall safeguarding work of the Children and Young People’s Partnership Board (CYPPB) and for ensuring continuous improvement in practice. Working closely with the CYPPB the WSCB takes lead responsibility for co-ordinating the safeguarding work of CYPPB partners and monitoring the quality and consistency of safeguarding practice and training across all partner agencies in the CYPPB. The Board is chaired by an Independent Chair and supported by a Business Manager.
If you wish to bring a matter to the attention of the WSCB then you can contact them by email at WSCB@wokingham.gov.uk or by phone on 0118 9746105 (WBC Children’s Services Reception - who will be able to put you in contact with them).
The WSCB is not an operational body or one that delivers services to children, young people or their families. Its role is co-ordinating and ensuring the effectiveness of what its member organisations do, including holding them to account for performance and contributing to broader planning, commissioning and delivery. To take forward its co-ordinating and monitoring roles, WSCB is responsible for the following functions:
- Monitoring how well statutory agencies are carrying out their responsibility under section 11 of the Children Act 2004 to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, including their safe staffing arrangements.
- Setting up and running a programme of multi-agency safeguarding training
- Drawing up and monitoring the implementation of WSCB inter-agency procedures
- Undertaking a Serious Case Review (SCR) when a child dies, and abuse or neglect is known or suspected to be a factor in the death; the purpose of SCRs is to establish the lessons to be learned from the case and how they will be acted upon, and as a consequence, improve inter-agency safeguarding of children
- Taking an overview of all child deaths (under 18 years) in the area, identifying any potentially contributory recurrent themes, circumstances, or possible limitations in service provision by one or more agencies.
The WSCB Business Plan is regularly refreshed to ensure our priorities are relevant in driving the work of the WSCB.
These are all intended to ensure that children and young people in Wokingham are effectively safeguarded and their impact will be measured through the WSCB Performance Framework.