What to do if you are worried about a child

What To Do If You Are Worried About A Child


Everyone has a responsibility for protecting children and young people. If you are concerned about a child, you should report your concerns.

What is abuse?

Abuse (sometimes known as 'significant harm') can manifest in the following ways:

  • Bullying - e.g. name calling, damaging property, stealing, spreading rumours and cyber bullying.
  • Domestic Violence - when one adult in a family or relationship threatens, bullies or hurts another family member e.g. physically, psychologically, emotionally, sexually or financially.
  • Emotional abuse - e.g. a child being unfairly blamed for everything, or told they are stupid or made to feel unhappy.
  • Neglect - e.g. a child not getting enough to eat or being left alone in dangerous situations.
  • Physical abuse - when an adult deliberately hurts a child, such as hitting, shaking, throwing, poisoning, burning or drowning.
  • Sexual abuse - an example of sexual abuse would be a child being forced to take part in sexual activities or in the taking of rude photos. 

Report a concern about a child

If you have any worries about a child or young person who you feel is being ill-treated you should contact us immediately. Children and their parents may need help urgently.

Who to contact

  • Referral and Assessment Team (Children's Safeguarding and Social Care Team: telephone 0118 908 8002 or email: triage@wokingham.gov.uk
  • Emergency Duty Team - out of office hours: telephone: 01344 786 543
  • Thames Valley Police: telephone 101
  • NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) 24 Hour Helpline: 0808 800 5000

Call 999 in an emergency If you believe a child is in immediate danger

Website by Taylorfitch